How To Become A Citizen
Get a badge for exploring all the steps to apply for Canadian citizenship!
Apply - Step 1: Am I Eligible To Apply?
In order to apply for Canadian citizenship you must:
- Be over 18 years of age;
- Provide proof that you know how to speak and write in 1 of Canada's official languages (either English or French);
- Be a Permanent Resident (PR);
- Have lived in Canada as a PR for at least 4 years out of the 6 years (1,460 days) right before the day you apply;
- Be physically present in Canada for 183 days (minimum) per year in 4 out of 6 years;
- You must apply for citizenship from within Canada.
If you are under 18 years old, your parent or guardian will have to apply for you when they submit their own application for citizenship. If you are over 18 years old and have children, you can include their citizenship application with your own.
If you are or have been a member of the Canadian Armed Forces, you may be eligible for a fast-track application process.
Read more information about citizenship eligibility on IRCC's website.